Around 100,000 migrants have gathered south of Hungary along the border, putting the country’s border at risk, a government official said. In January, 3,400 illegal entry attempts were made, Bence Tuzson, the state secretary for public services at the Prime Minister’s Office, told public news broadcaster M1. He noted an attempt at Röszke early last Tuesday, adding that it had proved that the Hungarian border defence system functioned properly during the incident. Tuzson said vigilance in protecting the border was essential, adding that patrol forces had been doubled in the area which is also under helicopter surveillance.
By protecting its own border, Hungary is also protecting Europe’s border, Tuzson noted, adding that the EU had contributed only a small part of border protection costs. He said the Hungarian government will turn to Brussels asking for more funding.